Monday, January 30, 2012

One Treatment Down...

I'm starting to think I have a thing for updating my blog the night before chemo treatments. It feels good to have that first treatment behind me! I feel like I know what I'm walking into tomorrow morning! So unlike the last treatment where I had not a clue what to expect! They tell you all the bad stuff that can happen to you, and somehow you believe that all those things will happen to you...at least I did! I soon learned that not everything they said would apply to me, nor would they have communicated all things to me prior to treatment. 

When we made it back to the chemo room, we got ourselves some snacks & prepared to watch a movie while I got my drugs!

I get two chemo drugs the first four treatments. One of my drugs is nicknamed, "The Red Devil." It's real name (Adriamycin) doesn't sound as intimidating, but the nickname fits! It's red & it's the one that makes me lose my hair. For reasons beyond my comprehension, this drug can't be set up on an IV drip like the other one, so a nurse sits and pushes it in over about 20 minutes. It wasn't until my second hour of treatment when the nurse came to administer "The Red Devil" to me that I realized they spent the first hour juicing me up with nausea meds and some sort of hypnotic drug. I'm not really sure what the hypnotic drug does, but I'm quite entertaining a few hours after it hits my system! The nurse suggested to me that I cut my shoulder length hair because I would begin to lose my hair within the next 14-21 days. Her reasoning was that it would hurt more the longer it was when it began to fall out. I was thinking emotionally painful, but she meant emotional AND physical pain. 

The day after my treatment I have to go back and get a little shot in the arm to help boost my immune system. Basically the shot forces my bones to produce bone marrow, so my white blood cell count will come back up. The nurses said the shot would cause pain similar to severe menstrual cramps. I've had severe cramps before, and the pain from this shot made those cramps look weak! First, this pain is all over your body...every bone aching! The pain was so severe for me that I couldn't get out of the bed for a whole day & barely made it out the second day after the shot! Thankfully, I only have to get this shot after the first 4 treatments...1 down, 3 to go! 

I did get my hair cut really short...the shortest I've ever had it, but not the shortest it will be on this journey. It was probably a good thing I was still under the influence of the hypnotic drug & some nausea meds when my stylist cut my hair because I'm sure I would have been much more of an emotional wreck! And now we are at day 13 and my hair has begun to fall out. I feel like I've somehow prepared myself emotionally for it, but for the physical pain I was not!!!! It feels like someone is taking each individual hair all over my body and yanking each one out down to the root! I want to avoid the mess of losing the hair on my head, so I'm planning to have someone shave it for me. I ordered my wig & was told it would be here by today, but it wasn't. I'm a little anxious about having a bald head & no wig, but I'm gonna embrace it! 

The big question that I haven't answered yet is, "How did I do after treatment?" Aside from the severe bone pain, I was only tired and nauseated. I've heard conflicting comments on how I will respond to future treatments. I've heard that how my body responded to the first treatment is what's can expect for all treatments. BUT, I've also heard that my body could respond differently as the drugs build up in my system over time. I am praying AND believing that nausea is the worst that comes my way. I know others are praying, too. I've already seen God answer so many prayers throughout this journey, that I know NO request is too small for my VERY BIG God! 

2 comments:

  1. Angela - my cousin got the cutest knit hat/beanies to wear. I don't think she ever wore a wig - she looked great in the hats alone. I pray that you have minimal side effects this round. Stay strong! - Amy McKenzie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angela - Hi there ... so proud of you! I am a 6-year Triple Negative survivor .. and can share my experience with you - all positive and optimistic! Check with Eve Connor for my contact info and hang in there Angela. God is good! Gina Amos

    ReplyDelete